Frequently Asked Questions

What do I need to bring to register my vehicle?

A copy of your present vehicle registration or the reminder letter that was sent to you on that vehicle is all that is needed.

Can I renew my registration by mail?

When mailing in your registration please include your reminder letter(s), a check made out to the Town of Boscawen for the local fees, a check made out to the State of NH-DMV for the state fees.  If more than one vehicle, total all the local fees and the state fees and just send one check for the state and one for the town. Please include a self-addressed stamped envelope.  Mailed in registrations are completed within 24 hours of receiving and will be out in the next day mail.

Can I register my boat in Boscawen?

Boats can not be registered in Boscawen, boat registrations can be done at NH DMV, sub station or a Mariner.  Boat trailers have to be registered in Boscawen.

How old does a vehicle have to be not to require a title?

You need to title a vehicle for 15 years (for this year (2014) 1999 and older to does not need a title).

What information is needed to request a price quote on a vehicle?

You need the VIN (Vehicle Identification Number).  It is a 17 digit number with numbers and letters.  You can find this on a CTA (blue copy you received from the dealership), on the dash of the car, drivers side near windshield.  Trailer VIN’s are more difficult to locate, we will accept a Certificate of Origin or you can download a VIN verification form, (from this page) under Documents and Forms  you can bring your vehicle to an inspection station or call police station for this form to be completed.  For $15 the police will come to your home to verify.

If you are requesting a price quote and need to transfer plates from another vehicle, we will need the current registration of the to be able to transfer credits.  Things to consider when transferring plates, it cost $10 to transfer and it is $8 for new plates. If you can not locate your current registration it will cost $18 to acquire a duplicate copy to retrieve your credit.

What do I need when transferring plates to a new vehicle?

You need the current registration and the blue copy from the dealer (town clerk written in red at the bottom).  If the vehicle is 15 years or younger you will need the original title, to complete a current title with your name and vehicle information and the current registration.  If the vehicle is 16 years or older, it no longer needs a title, you will need the current registration and a bill of sale and one of the following, a copy of a prior registration  or a VIN verification (documents and forms) completed by an inspection station or the police department.

Do I have to register a small homemade trailer?

Any vehicle that is driven or pulled on the road needs to be registered.  When registering a homemade trailer, you would need to have a completed  VIN verification form (download from this page), the police for $15 will come to the house to complete or an inspection station.  If the homemade trailer was previously registered if you have a copy of the previous owner’s registration you can use that as VIN verification as long as the trailer loaded weights less than 3001 lbs.

What do I need to apply for a marriage license?  Each applicant needs to be present with a picture ID, any and all divorce decrees from the court (the declaration page), death certificates, proof of age (if under 18 years of age).  Knowledge of ancestry, parents surnames, parents state at birth and birthdates , date of marriage, officiant’s information.  A marriage license is $45.00 check or cash only at the time of applying.    The officiant needs to send the marraige information back to the town clerk to be entered into the vital records system within 10 days of the marriage, when this is completed a certified copy can be printed for $15 from the state vital records system.