Frequently Asked Questions
1. Does the Town of Boscawen accept Debit/Credit cards as payment? We accept checks and cash only.
2. What do I need to bring to register my vehicle?
Yes. When mailing in your registration please include your reminder letter(s), a check made out to the Town of Boscawen for the local fees, a check made out to the State of NH-DMV for the state fees. If more than one vehicle, total all the local fees in one check to the Town Of Boscawen and total all the state fees in one check to the STATE OF NH-DMV. Please include a self-addressed stamped envelope. Mailed in registrations are completed within 24 hours of receiving and will be out in the next day mail. If a dump sticker is needed, please indicate so on the renewal notice.
Boats can not be registered in Boscawen at this time. Boat registrations can be done in Concord at NH-DMV, a substation, or another town that has the ability to register boats. Boat trailers have to be registered in Boscawen.
You need to title a vehicle for 15 years: for this year (2014) 1999 and older to does not need a title.
6. What information is needed to request a price quote on a vehicle?
You need the VIN (Vehicle Identification Number). It is a 17 digit number with numbers and letters. You can find this on a CTA (blue copy you received from the dealership), on the dash of the car, drivers side near windshield. Trailer VIN’s are more difficult to locate, we will accept a Certificate of Origin or you can download a VIN verification form, (from this page) under Documents and Forms you can bring your vehicle to an inspection station or call police station for this form to be completed. For $15 the police will come to your home to verify.
7. I lost my registration, what do I do?
If you can not locate your current registration, we can print you a certified copy for $18. We will need to have the license plate number in order to print a certified copy.
8. What do I need when transferring plates to a new vehicle?
You need the registration for the plates you are transferring (keeping) and the blue copy from the dealer (town clerk written in red at the bottom). If the vehicle is younger than 15 years you will also need the original title. If the vehicle is 15 years or older, it no longer needs a title, you will need the registration for the plates you are transferring (keeping) and a bill of sale.
Any vehicle that is driven or pulled on the road needs to be registered. When registering a homemade trailer, you will need to have a completed VIN Verification Form, and for only $15 the police will come to the house or to an inspection station to complete the VIN Verification Form. If the homemade trailer was previously registered, and you have a copy of the previous owner’s registration, you can use that as VIN verification as long as the trailer loaded weighs 3000LBS or less.
10. What do I need to apply for a marriage license? This process can take 45 minutes to complete. Please call the Town Clerk at 753-9188 Ext. 311 to make an appointment. Each applicant needs to be present with a picture ID, any and all divorce decrees from the court (the declaration page), death certificates, proof of age (if under 18 years of age). Knowledge of ancestry, parents surnames, parents state at birth and birthdates , date of marriage, officiant’s information. A marriage license is $45.00 check or cash only at the time of applying. The officiant needs to send the marriage information back to the town clerk to be entered into the vital records system within 10 days of the marriage, when this is completed a certified copy can be printed for $15 from the state vital records system.