Requesting a Marriage License
When requesting a marriage license, the following is required:
- The marriage license process could take 45 minutes to process, please call to schedule an appointment.
- The marriage license expires 90 days from issuance
- Both applicants must be present
- Picture ID for each
- Original certified divorce decrees with the seal ** If applicable **
- Original certified death record of spouse with the seal ** If applicable **
- Original certified Civil Union Dissolution decree with the seal ** If applicable **
- If under age 18, need a waiver from the district court
- Statistical information: mother’s maiden name, parents date of births, parents birthplace and ancestry
- Cash or check made out to the Town of Boscawen for $50
- After the Town Clerk has been notified of your marriage and has entered the information into the state system (needs to be done within 10 days of the marriage), you can proceed to get your name changed with state and federal agencies.
Procedures for Obtaining a Marriage Certificate
After the ceremony has been performed, your Justice of the Peace, Ordained minister, or other Officiant, has 10 days to mail the completed and signed Marriage License to the Town Clerk, so she can input the Officiant’s information into the database.
- Come to the Office with your ID to fill out a Request for Marriage Certificate
- The Town Clerk will print a certified copy on official state paper and seal it with the official Town seal
- Cost for this service is $15 for first copy and $10 for each additional copy, made payable in cash or check to The Town of Boscawen.
Procedures for Changing Name after Marriage
After the Town Clerk has been notified of your marriage, has entered the information into the state system (needs to be done within 10 days of the marriage),and printed a Certified Copy of your Marriage Certificate, you can proceed to get your name changed with state and federal agencies.
- Bring the original copy of the marriage certificate to the Department of Motor Vehicle (they need to see the original and will make a photocopy). DMV (23 Hazen Dr, Concord) will get you a new license with your new name at no cost.
- With your new license and your original marriage certificate, you then can go to the Social Security Office (70 Commercial Street, Suite 100, Concord – near Horseshoe Pond) and get a new Social Security Card. The Social Security Office only needs a copy of the original, but they need to have the ORIGINAL to photocopy from.